By Courtney Cleveland
As college students, we all have pretty common goals when it comes to spring break: having fun, relaxing and enjoying not having any classes or homework for an entire week. But where can we go that won’t leave a gaping hole in our pockets? Fortunately, the South is filled with tons of deals and adventures.
- Right in our backyard is the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum and the Museum of Mississippi History. Located in Jackson, Miss., tickets are $8 for one museum and $12 for dual admission. Admission is free on the third Saturday of every month, so it’s perfect to go during spring break. More information can be found on the website at https://mcrm.mdah.ms.gov/visit/hours-admission.
- If you’re looking for something a little more traditional, you might want to visit Biloxi Beach in—you guessed it— Biloxi, Miss. You can sign up to go canoeing or kayaking or even to go on a shrimping trip.
- Of course, Mardi Gras has already passed, but it would still be an adventure to go on Bourbon Street and explore the French Quarter. One could opt to go on a Mississippi River cruise or just walk around and enjoy the food and sights.
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana’s capital, though often overlooked, has some great offerings too. Some famous attractions include the Louisiana Art and Science museum, which includes a planetarium. There’s also the Baton Rouge Zoo, complete with trains and a café.
Around the World
- If you’re a bit more adventurous, try to find a cruise! Spring break cruises are relatively cheap, and your meals and tons of activities are included in the cost. It’ll be 100 times more fun with a group of your closest friends. Try searching on www.carnival.com.
While the goal is to have fun, you should also be safe. Here are a few tricks and safety tips:
- You and the individuals you’re traveling with should take turns behind the wheel. Keeping everyone well-rested and alert is key. Take breaks if traveling long periods of time.
- Make sure that everyone’s driver’s license is valid and that both insurance and proof of registration are located in the vehicle.
- Don’t drink and drive. If you do plan on drinking, know your limits, and have a backup mode of transportation in place (Uber and Lyft are your friends). When you’re in a public area, keep an eye on your drink at all times.
- Use caution when choosing your hotel. Always check to ensure that your windows and doors are secure. Don’t leave anything of value out in the open when you are leaving your room. In addition to these things, you should also be aware of where the emergency exits and stairwells are located.
With that being said, use your head and have tons of fun over spring break!